OKC BARONS WEEK IN REVIEW
By Josh Evans, OKC Barons
Recap of Week 2, Oct. 19-20 (2 games, 1-1-0-0)
Season record: 2-2-0-0, T-3, South Division, -3 pts.
• THE WEEK PAST: For the second straight week the Barons split a Friday-Saturday set, this time at home. After going 1-1 to open the season at Lake Erie Oct. 12-13, the Barons played a pair of home games at the Cox Center last week and started with a 5-2 win over San Antonio on Friday. Justin Schultz set a club record with 2 shorthanded goals (the second into an empty net) and shared a club-best +5 rating with Martin Marincin. On Saturday, Lake Erie rallied for 3 power play goals in the third period to overcome a 1-goal deficit and beat the Barons 5-3.
• THE WEEK AHEAD: The Barons’ first 3-game week of the young season begins on Tuesday at 7 pm (CDT) with the fourth and final regular-season meeting with the North Division-leading Lake Erie Monsters (Colorado Avalanche). Lake Erie (4-1-0-0) has won 2 of the first 3 in the compact season series between the teams. Four of the Barons’ first 5 games are against the Monsters, who enter Tuesday’s contest off a 4-0 blanking of Texas on Sunday at Cedar Park Center outside Austin. The Houston Aeros visit the Cox Center on Friday for the first of 6 regular-season appearances in Oklahoma City. Game time is 7 pm. The Texas Stars take on the Barons Sunday at 4 pm in the first of 4 late Sunday afternoon home games this season.
• A ROOKIE LEADS THEM: First-year defenseman Justin Schultz leads the Barons in goals (4) and points (6) through the first 4 games. Schultz is the only Baron to register a point in each contest. His 4-game point streak is tied for second-best in the AHL so far behind 4 members of the Syracuse Crunch, who have played 5 games. Schultz has a goal in 3 straight, which is tied for the second-best active goal streak behind Abbotsford’s Roman Horak (4). Schultz is part of a 3-way tie for second in rookie scoring, 1 point behind Houston’s Mikael Granlund. He’s also 1 point back of the AHL lead in defensemen scoring. Schultz’s +5 rating on Friday set a club record (shared with Martin Marincin, see note below) and his 2 shorthanded goals are the most in a single game in the Barons’ 2-plus years as an AHL franchise.
• MARINCIN STREAKING: Rookie defenseman Martin Marincin, a club-record +5 with Justin Schultz in Friday’s 5-2 win over San Antonio, enters this week with a season rating of +7, tying him for the league lead with Norfolk’s Nate Guenin. The Barons’ previous record of +4 was shared by 4 players: Antti Tyrvainen and Triston Grant in last season’s home opener, a 10-1 victory over Texas, Oct. 15, 2011; Taylor Chorney on March 13, 2012 vs. Rockford; and Ryan O’Marra on Nov. 7, 2010. Marincin, a 20-year-old native of Slovakia, followed his first professional goal Oct. 13 with another tally on Friday. Marincin has points in 3 straight games.
• ODDS AND ENDS: The Barons’ current 7-game homestand is their longest stretch of home contests this season and represents 18.4 percent of their 38-game home schedule...the homestand runs until Nov. 3...until allowing 3 goals in Saturday’s third period, OKC had not given up more than 1 goal in any period this season through the first 3 games, plus 2 periods on Saturday...Friday’s opening-night attendance of 6,323 was higher than any date from last season.
This week’s games (times listed as Central)
Date Opponent Time Arena Radio
Tuesday, Oct. 23 Lake Erie 7 pm Cox Convention Center KXY 96.1 FM
Friday, Oct. 26 Houston 7 pm Cox Convention Center KXY 96.1 FM
Sunday, Oct. 28 Texas 4 pm Cox Convention Center KXY 96.1 FM
(return to articles...)
This Article has been viewed: 373 times