BARONS WEEKLY REPORT: MARCH 19 - 25
By Jim Byers,Recap of Week 25, March 23-25 (3 games, 2-1-0-0)
Season record: 41-18-4-5, 1st, West Division, +14; 1st, Western Conference, +8
• THE WEEK PAST: The Barons won 2 out of 3 home games and maintained the top spot in the Western Conference standings with 91 points, 8 more than North Division leader Toronto. On Friday, the Barons defeated the Texas Stars 3-1, taking their fifth straight from Texas and seventh of 9 meetings overall. The Grand Rapids Griffins visited for back-to-back games on Saturday and Sunday and the teams split, with the Barons winning on Saturday 5-2. The Griffins rebounded with a 4-1 win on Sunday, ending a Barons’ streak of 9 straight games with at least 1 standing point. OKC was 6-0-2-1 during that stretch.
• THE WEEK AHEAD: OKC wraps up its busiest month of the season (15 games) with a 2-game week. The Barons take on Milwaukee on Friday at the Bradley Center at 7 pm CDT. They travel to Grand Rapids for a 6 pm (CDT) Saturday contest in the eighth and final meeting of the year with the Griffins. OKC is 1-2-0-0 against Milwaukee this season and 4-1-0-2 against Grand Rapids.
• ANNUAL IMPROVEMENT: The Barons’ 5-2 win on Saturday was their 41st of the season, which is one more than last season’s victory total. The 2010-11 Barons won 40 in an 80-game season, hitting their ultimate win total in Game 79. This year’s Barons won their 41st in Game 67. The Barons have matched their standing point total from last season’s inaugural campaign. They enter this week with 91 points.
• DANIS AMONG LEADERS: Goaltender Yann Danis is second in the AHL’s goals-against average race at 2.00, trailing only Lake Erie’s Cedrick Desjardins (1.93). Danis also begins this week tied for the third-most wins (24), tied for second in shutouts (5) and tied for fourth in save percentage (.926).
• ON THE PLUS SIDE: Ryan Keller is tied for fourth in the AHL in plus-minus at +25. Josh Green is tied for 13th at +18. Triston Grant and Mark Arcobello are part of a group tied for 19th at +16.
• RECORD RAMBLINGS: OKC is 27-1-2-4 when scoring at least 1 power play goal in a game. The Barons are 14-17-2-1 when held without a man advantage goal. When a defenseman scores a goal, the Barons are 14-2-0-2. OKC is 4-0-0-0 when receiving 2 goals from the “D” corps. OKC has won all 20 of its games in regulation when it scores 4 or more goals. The Barons are 11-1-2-1 combined in Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday games this season. They have one more “mid-week” game remaining, Tuesday, April 3 vs. Hamilton.
• OKC-EDMONTON SHUTTLE: When Chris VandeVelde was recalled by Edmonton on Saturday, it was the Barons’ 95th player transaction of the season. Last year’s inaugural Barons handled 94 transactions for the entire campaign.
This week’s games (times listed as Central)
Date Opponent Time Arena Radio
March 30 @ Milwaukee 7 pm Bradley Center KXY 96.1 FM
March 31 @ Grand Rapids 6 pm Van Andel Arena KXY 96.1 FM
This Article has been viewed: 451 times