BARONS GAME NOTES - FEBRUARY 9
By Jim Byers, on 02/09/2014
Oklahoma City Barons (20-22-1-5) at Charlotte Checkers (22-23-0-1)
Barons Game 49 | Road Game 26 | AHL Game 714
Feb. 9, 2014, 12:30 pm CST | Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte, NC
Radio: KXY 96.1 FM, okcbarons.com
AHL Media Kit Link: http://admin.leaguestat.com/download.php?file_path=new-pdf/1011818-43.pdf&client_code=ahl
TODAY: The Barons conclude a 4-game trip with the second meeting in 3 days with the Charlotte Checkers (Carolina Hurricanes). OKC brings a season-high 4-game winning streak into this afternoon and has won all 3 games so far on the trip. The Barons earned their first win of the season over Charlotte on Friday, equaling the second-most goals in club history in an 8-5 victory. Charlotte took the first 6 meetings in the season series. The Checkers are 13th in the Western Conference in points with 45. OKC is part of a 3-way tie for 10th in points with 46.
OFF THE TOP: The Barons bring season-best 4-game winning and 3-game road winning streaks into this afternoon’s contest. OKC has out-scored the opposition 25-14 during the streak. Goaltender Richard Bachman has won all 4 games, his longest personal string of wins this season. OKC has scored at least 1 goal in 15 straight periods dating to a 4-0 shutout against John Muse and the Checkers Jan. 23. OKC has killed off all 9 times short over its past 3 games and is 11-for-11 on the PK dating to the last power-play goal against, Jan. 30 vs. Toronto. The Barons have scored 2 power-play goals in 3 straight games, going a combined 6-for-12. The Barons are 8-1-0-1 when tallying more than 1 power-play goal in a game. OKC is 3-0-0-1 on Sunday this season.
FRIDAY’S FALLOUT: Here are some of the distinctions from Friday’s 8-5 OKC win:
• The Barons’ 8 goals match the second-most in a single game club history, joining an 8-2 win at Houston Oct. 17, 2010. The record came in a 10-1 decision over Texas on Oct. 15, 2011.
• The 13 combined goals equal the most in a Barons game in club annals and were the most in a non-overtime contest. The previous 13-goal game was a 7-6 shootout win over Toronto Nov. 7, 2010.
• OKC’s 8 goals are a season high for the team. The season mark has been raised in 2 of the last 3 games, as the Barons won at Texas 7-4 on Feb. 2 to establish the previous high.
• The Barons’ 5 third-period goals, 19 third-period shots and 45 total shots are season marks.
• Roman Horak’s hat trick was the 12th in club history, the 7th on the road and the second this season after Linus Omark tallied 4 times at San Antonio Oct. 25.
• All but one Baron registered a shot on goal and the only player who didn’t, Austin Fyten, had an assist.
• Eight Barons had multi-point games and 3, Horak, Ben Eager and Mark Arcobello, had 3 points.
BREAK TIME: In 3 games since being loaned by Edmonton last weekend, Mark Arcobello has a goal in each game and 4 assists for 7 points. Arcobello finished last season tied for third in the AHL in points with 68. He’s the Barons’ all-time leading goal (53) and assist (87) producer. All of his previous games this season had been with the Oilers, for whom he had 4 goals and 14 assists in 41 games. He’s the 17th player to appear for both the Barons and Oilers this season and just the second (Martin Marincin is the other) to play at least 1 regular-season game in each of the Barons’ 4 AHL seasons. Arcobello is required to take the NHL’s Olympic break due to the length of time he spent in the NHL this season, so he will not play for the Barons until later this month, assuming he remains on loan then.
CHECKER BOARDS: All-time in the regular season, OKC is 8-13-1-1 vs. Charlotte, 6-4-0-1 at Time Warner Cable Arena. In last spring’s best-of-5, opening round Calder Cup series, the teams split 2 games in OKC before the Barons took 2 of 3 in Charlotte to advance.
ETC.: Anton Lander brings a 5-game point streak into today, during which he has 2 goals and 6 assists. Lander has a team-best 32 points (13G, 19A) in 31 games over 3 AHL stints. Since returning from his latest stint with Edmonton Jan. 4, Lander has 4 goals and 13 assists in 13 games. Brad Hunt has a 5-game point streak (1G, 5A). Steve Pinizzotto has had consecutive 2-assist games.
Last 5 Games:
Date Opp. Result OKC Goalie (GA, SV) Opp. Goalie Attn.
Jan. 24 @ Cha L, 3-9 Pickard (9, 38) Muse (3, 26) 8,160
Jan. 30 Tor W, 5-3 Bachman (3, 19) MacIntyre (4, EN, 37) 2,576
Feb. 2 @ Tex W, 7-4 Bachman (4, 41) Nilstorp (7, 25) 3,916
Feb. 4 @ Tex W, 5-2 Bachman (2, 35) Robinson (4, EN, 27) 4,256
Feb. 7 @ Cha W, 8-5 Bachman (5, 37) Muse (L) / Murphy 8,189
Next 5 games (all times Central):
Date Opp. Site Time Broadcast
Feb. 14 Lake Erie Cox Center 7:00 pm KXY 96.1 FM
Feb. 15 Lake Erie Cox Center 7:00 pm KXY 96.1 FM
Feb. 21 @ GR Van Andel Arena 6:00 pm KXY 96.1 FM
Feb. 22 @ GR Van Andel Arena 6:00 pm KXY 96.1 FM
Feb. 23 @ Tor Ricoh Coliseum 3:00 pm KXY 96.1 FM
(return to articles...)
This Article has been viewed: 585 times